| Riding in Style |
But what I liked best about that exchange was that she was playing in the bathroom. Remember when you were little and anything could be a game? Pushing buttons on a calculator that wasn't on could occupy me for quite some time when I was a little kid. Putting fake groceries into a bag was also a compelling imaginative exercise. I remember playing "Space Monkeys" with Sally Hirships on her backyard jungle gym and something that I would now dub "Orphan Boat" with Jenny Gurney on her bunk beds. The premise of these games was pretty much described by their names, but there were a million variations on a theme.
My imaginative life definitely hasn't stalled, but it's different now that I'm an adult. Although I will sometimes make up a backstory for an interesting person I see on the street, mostly my imagination takes me through scenarios that happened and I wish had gone differently or consist of my trying to map out how something will go, something I have to do anyway. And not that there aren't lots of cool things to get lost in when you're grown up, but it's nice to watch Milo playing with things -- the little stuffed animals in his crib, say -- and think that he's got this whole life of funny voices and made-up narratives ahead of him. I love the concentration of kids in the world of make-believe, and I especially love seeing it start to emerge in my little man.
No comments:
Post a Comment